Saturday, April 25, 2015

Humble devotions


I just love historic churches. I can't get enough of them. Every time I see one I have to stop to get a closer look. Those little whitewashed one-room structures make my heart swell.


Imagine all of the families that have passed through those doors over the years. Kids running around, babies crying, mothers hushing their young ones, fathers feeling uneasy in their ties. 

Lots of laughterdisclosureawakening. Devotional conversations focused on growth and awareness, understanding and faith. 

Filling up that single room with so much love and joyfulness that it's bursting through the wooden doors and flowing out of the lead-glass windows.

These chapels just seem so personal.



It's been said that the Greek god Apollo had the phrases "know thyself" and "nothing in excess" engraved on his temple at Delphi. Two phrases that certainly encapsulate these tiny sacred dwellings.  

Modern churches continue to get bigger, and bigger, and bigger. And while it's wonderful they are so inviting, at the same time I feel they have lost their intimacy, their closeness. Their humbleness.

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4:2

(Where my husband and I married)

Rooted in simplicity, historic chapels hearten my spiritual soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment